My research concerns modernist, avant-garde, and experimental music and art in the U.S. since World War II. I have a special interest in two groups of musicians and visual artists, those of the New York School (and particularly Morton Feldman) and those associated with the development of minimalism
Supported by grants, I have studied composers’ manuscripts at several major archives, including the Paul Sacher Foundation (Basel) and the Getty Research Institute (Los Angeles). An advocate of interdisciplinary scholarship, I have held research affiliations with Cornell University’s Society for the Humanities (as a Mellon postdoctoral fellow) and with the Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities (as a graduate fellow).
I am the President of the Southern Chapter of the American Musicological Society.
For a full copy of my CV, email me.
- “Keller’s Zak, Duchamp’s Mutt, and the Art of the Ruse.” Modernism/modernity Print Plus vol. 4, cycle 1 (April 2019).
- “Terry Jennings, the Lost Minimalist.” American Music 32, no. 1 (Spring 2014): 82–107.
- “’The Breathing of Sound Itself’: Notation and Temporality in Feldman’s Music to 1970.” Contemporary Music Review 32, no. 6 (2013): 1–40.
- Miscellaneous entries in the 2nd edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music, ed. Charles Garrett (2013).
- “Morton Feldman’s Graphic Notation: Projections and Trajectories.” Journal of the Society for American Music 6, no. 4 (October 2012): 457–82.
- “Coordinating Morton Feldman’s False Relationships.” Mitteilungen der Paul Sacher Stiftung No. 23 (April 2010): 39–42.
Recent Conference Presentations
- “Keller’s Zak, Duchamp’s Mutt, and the Art of the Ruse.” American Musicological Society Annual Meeting, Rochester, 2017.
- “Counterfeit Music.” Ninth Biennial International Conference on Music Since 1900, Glasgow, 2015.
- “Stylistic convergence in early West Coast minimalism, 1958–60.” Society for American Music, Lancaster, 2014.
- “Terry Jennings at the margins.” Third International Conference on Music and Minimalism, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 2011; LSU Music Forum 2012.
- “Morton Feldman’s Projections: origins, development, and spin.” AMS National Meeting, San Francisco, 2011; AMS Southern Chapter, Thibodaux, LA, 2011; LSU Music Forum 2010.
- “The look of sound: modernist musical discourse and the non-pictorial image.” Modernist Studies Association 11th Annual Conference, Montréal, 2009.
- “Feldman, Guston, and the emergence of the figure.” American Musicological Society Annual Meeting, Nashville, 2008.